Tuesday, August 9, 2016


Good evening friends: I have been an ordained minister through the Universalist church for almost 40 years but have not worked very hard at it. Shame on me. But Nancy and I lived and got married on a former mission boat "Sunbeam" and in a small way lived as very part time missionaries by taking children on weekend cruises, we did some weddings on the boat, dropped ashes of the deceased into Long Island sound, let school plays be performed on her aft deck or broke ice for fishermen who needed to work. (Sunbeam could cut through about 16 inches of ice like butter).
Now I should like to atone as my own days are numbered. I have very little to offer that your own church does not but I am non denominational. Everyone who needs to talk to me is welcome regardless of who they are.
I can perform weddings and officiate at funerals, I am registered with the State of Vermont and the City of Newport. I love to do informal weddings at any location of your choosing and can make it a five minute affair in your kitchen or an elaborate festive occasion. I charge nothing for my services but will accept a good-will offering, but it is not necessary Just buy me a beer.
If you wish me to officiate at a funeral service, I should like to meet the family and friends so I may represent the deceased in an appropriate manner other than just mouthing the words without knowing who I am talking about.
If you have a loved one in hospital who needs someone to talk to I shall be there.
If you have problems in your marriage that you wish to talk about - talk to me.
I will however not offer you prayers or quote from the good book. Your own priest is there for that. I am just a simple old minister wishing to help those in need. I do read my bible every morning but only to give me a moral compass while I have my own interpretation of the needs, anxieties and fears of the people who trust me enough to speak with me. I do not judge nor sermonize, believe strongly that every one of us is born a good person and if that person should have been de-railed, maybe I can lift the wheels back onto the rails. Of course you have to do your share of the lifting.

So - if you need me, contact me at:
Manfred Rieder, 17 Prospect street, Newport, Vt. 05855
Tel.:  (802) 487-9323
Cell: (802) 673-0548
E-mail: mapleleafpress@yahoo.com

To view a small film of the launching of our boat go there:

http://oldfilm.org/collection/index.php/Detail/Collection/Show/collection_id/432



No comments:

Post a Comment